Friday 9 August 2013

How to Remove Cradle Cap - Dentinox Cradle Cap Shampoo Review

Hey guys,

Now I know this isn't a glamorous post for all of you to read, but sadly motherhood isn't always glamorous. This post is about how to remove cradle cap from your newborn baby, I will also be reviewing the Dentinox Cradle Cap Shampoo if any other parents are wondering about buying this to treat their babies.
dentinox cradle cap shampoo review newborns

One of my sons got cradle cap when he was 6 months old, (I'm not going to show any pictures of what cradle cap looks like as it's not the nicest thing, but feel free to Google it). He didn't suffer too badly with it, which I was grateful for, but I still wanted to treat it as soon as possible before it got worse.

What you need to know about cradle cap is, it's a yellowy scaly skin on top of a babies head (although it can be in other places too), it's not dangerous and it doesn't harm your baby in any way. The only problem with cradle cap is it's rather unsightly. It's still not really known what causes cradle cap but there are some easy and cheap ways to cure it. Also, cradle cap is not contagious, only one of my twin boys has ever had it. It usually disappears after a few weeks or months, so if you really struggle to get rid of it just know it will go eventually!

So firstly there is a home remedy you can try; if you go to your own cupboards and get out some olive oil, almond oil or even baby oil and apply that to your babies head. Leave the oil on your babies head for a while so it soaks in and then, usually at bath time, you brush through your babies hair with a fine tooth comb, which should start to loosen the scales, then wash through your babies hair to remove the shampoo and any scales. However, I didn't enjoy using oil as I found it to be a greasy, sticky way to treat my sons head.

What I used instead was Dentinox's Cradle Cap Treatment Shampoo, which retails at around £2 and is available at most supermarkets or at Boots for £2.09. Not only is this a shampoo for cradle cap, but it can be used after that has been treated as a general baby shampoo and keeps your babies head clean. I've used it on both my boys even though one of them has never suffered with this problem. It's also suitable from birth, so if your newborn is suffering with cradle cap you can treat it straight away.

All I can say about this product is that for the money it's definitely worth it, it costs the same as a bottle of olive oil and in my opinion it did the job better. With one application to my sons head half of his cradle cap had gone, then all I did was shampoo his head the following day to remove the rest of it and that has been it! I was quite apprehensive about using a product from Dentinox again as I had tried their colic drops which didn't work for my babies when they had colic (nothing did!), but this product was really amazing. The fact that I can also use it as a shampoo now is a bonus as it means the rest of the bottle doesn't get wasted. Plus it's a good way to keep any build up of skin or potential cradle cap re-occuring.

To smell it's almost odourless with a hint of soap, which to me is a lot nicer than smelling of olive oil! I know I've read some reviews where mothers say it took them longer to get results with this shampoo, but I wanted to tell you how fantastic this product was for me. Of course every baby is different and reacts differently to things, but I hope this works well for you too. My babies both now have scale-free hair again, even they're happy about that:




When using this shampoo or any other shampoo suitable for cradle cap, make sure you don't get it in your babies eyes. This shampoo is stronger than a usual baby shampoo, so getting it in your babies eyes will give them some discomfort. 

For more information on cradle cap and treatments, please check out the NHS website.

I hope this helped you out, if you didn't like this product, let me know what worked best for you.

Lots of love,
Samantha Dawn
xoxo Follow on Bloglovin

Find Samantha on: Google+   Twitter   Instagram   Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment